• Instructor: Debra M. Lee
• Session: 9am – 12 noon
• Artistic medium used: Fiber/Knitting
• Class Fee: $55
• Materials: Each student should bring smooth, solid, contrasting color yarns of the same weight (preferably worsted weight), corresponding knitting needles and removable stitch markers.
• Approximate cost of materials: $15-$20 depending on where students purchase their supplies
• Students can purchase materials at local yarn shops including Crazy for Ewe Leonardtown, online at patternworks.com and knitpicks.com and craft stores including Michael’s, A.C. Moore and Jo-Ann Fabrics
• Student age requirements: 13 years old and above
• Student skill requirements: Basic knitting skills including able to cast on, bind off, knit and purl.
If you can slip a stitch, you can master mosaic knitting -- a fascinating color knitting technique that is created by knitting and slipping stitches using the same color yarn across two consecutive rows. Learn to read and knit from a chart designed for mosaic knitting, knit it in stockinette stitch and garter stitch and then, explore more involved designs.
The photo above is an example of a hands-on exercise that each student will create in class to learn the mosaic knitting technique.
Register for this class:
Make your check payable to:
St. Mary's County Arts Council
and send to
St. Mary's County Arts Council
PO Box 1310
Leonardtown, MD 20650
(Please specify what class you are signing up for and include your email address)
Or Pay with PayPal
Debra M. Lee Biography
Debra has been an active member of the fiber arts/knitting community in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area for more than 15 years. In 2002 she turned her passion for knitting into her vocation after 25 years as a business systems designer and program director.
Debra is a Craft Yarn Council of America-certified knitting teacher and teaches beginner and advanced knitting technique and design classes in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area at local yarn shops and fiber art guilds, at Knitters Connection in Columbus, Ohio, at Unwind Getaway in Blowing Rock, North Carolina and at private venues.
As a studio artist, Debra explores ways to merge knitting, art and design into her contemporary art and one-of-a-kind wearables.
- Her artful bag "Moment in Time" is featured in 1000 Artisan Textiles by Sandra Salamony and Gina M. Brown.
- Debra served five years on the board of and sells her work at the Potomac Fiber Arts Gallery, a cooperative gallery in Old Town Alexandria, Va.
- She has also exhibited at Julie Artisans Gallery in New York City, Ny.; Creative Craft Council’s Biennial Shows at Strathmore Mansion in Rockville, Md.; Crossroads Gallery in Arlington, Va.; and Artful Dimensions Gallery in Fredericksburg, Va.
In addition, her work can be found in the form of hand-knitting patterns published in Knitter’s, Knit ‘n Style, A Gathering of Lace and The Best of Knitter’s Jackets for Work and Play and in her online ravelry.com store.
Debra holds a B.S. degree in business management from the University of Maryland, an M.B.A. in information technology management from George Washington University and has completed further studies at The Art League School, The Knitting Guild of America and national conferences.